Safety Requirements.


Properties are inspected annually by a suitably qualified GASSAFE contractor to provide a Landlords Gas Safety Inspection Certificate or CP12


All furnishings, sofas, beds etc comply with the necessary safety regulations.


Properties are inspected internally and externally on a quarterly basis to ensure the structure and exterior of the property are in good repair. We are also responsible for keeping in good repair and proper working order installations for supply of water, gas, electricity, sanitation, space and water heating.


A certificate is required for all homes rented after 1 October 2008 and shows how energy efficient the property is and produced by an accredited energy assessors.


Mandatory licensing applies to all privately rented properties occupied by three or more people who form more than one household.

Do you charge any agency fees?

We do not charge any agency fees.

However, there is a flat charge of £30.00 per property, regardless of size, in order to legally protect your Security Deposit with mydeposits.co.uk.

For example, in a 5 Bed house, this will give rise to a charge of £6.00 per tenant.

What do I need to do to secure a property?

To secure a property, we require the following:

Each group must nominate a ‘Lead Tenant’.  This is the person who will be responsible for collecting all holding fees and deposit payments for each property and the person who will receive the deposits back at the end of a tenancy to distribute to each tenant.

Each prospective tenant must pay a holding fee of £100.00 each to the Lead Tenant who will then make one payment for the group to secure the property – the property will continue to be marketed until this payment is received.  So, for example, in a 5 bed property, the holding fee will be £500.00.  This holding fee is deducted off the deposit that each tenant will need to pay.  Please note – your holding fee is non-refundable if you change you mind about the property – so please be certain that you wish to sign for a tenancy.

As a group, you will then have 7 days to complete your paperwork and the balance of your deposit.

An Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement will need to be signed in person – one copy for the Landlord and one copy for the tenants.

A Guarantor form will need to be completed in full by the parent or guardian of each applicant.

A Standing Order form to be completed. Rental payments for the year to be made in 10 instalments. Standing order forms must be returned to Tyne Properties and we will forward it to your bank to be processed.

A student ID form, giving details of term time and home addresses, University course details, student ID numbers and guarantor information.

You will also be required to pay a Security Deposit (typically 1 months rent) payable immediately upon the signing of the Tenancy Agreement.  Your holding fees will be deducted from the deposit which will need to be paid.

In all cases, a lead person must be appointed and they will be responsible for all payments and forms to be returned to us within 7 days.

How is rent to be paid?

A Standing Order form is to be completed by each tenant, with payments for the year to be made in 10 instalments, typically from July – June of each academic year.

Standing Order forms are to be returned to Tyne Properties. We will then forward it to your bank on your behalf.

Need help?

If you would like any help please do get in touch. We have many years of experience letting property in Newcastle and will be able to help.

How will my deposit be protected?

We protect our deposits with www.mydeposits.co.uk

What bills are we required to pay and how do we pay them?

You will be responsible for Gas, Electric and Water.

When you move into your property, meter readings will be taken. You will provide these readings to the service provider who will be happy to set up accounts in your name.

Students are exempt from Council Tax, but you are required to inform Newcastle City Council of your residency and they will issue you with an exemption certificate.

You are also responsible for any contracts you take out with Broadband providers, telephone companies and Satellite TV.

What furnishings are provided?

All bedrooms have double beds (3/4 beds in smaller rooms), Wardrobes, Drawers, Desk & Chair.

Living rooms have Sofas and Coffee tables.

Kitchens are provided with a minimum of Cooker, Oven, Microwave, Fridge Freezers and Washing Machine. Many of our larger properties also come with Dishwashers and Dryers.

What happens if there are any maintenance issues in the house.

Every tenant will be provided with an email address and a mobile telephone number that they can use to report any maintenance issues. Any such issues are actioned immediately and, in most cases, resolved within 24 hours.

When do we get our Security Deposits back?

Your security deposits will be returned within 28 Days of the end of your tenancy provided that the contract has not been broken and that the property has been kept, and is returned in the condition that it was received in at the commencement of the tenancy.

When you move in to the property, you will be given an inventory and accompanying photos, which detail the condition of the property. You are required to sign the inventory and photographs and will be given a copy for future reference.